Spring is on its way which means it’s almost time for the seasonal closet clean. The winter coats can finally go away, the shorts and skirts come out, and there is no better time to purge your unused items.
I did all of my laundry yesterday so that I am ready to start the process fresh today. I’ll update tomorrow with my results, but the plan is outlined below.
There are a million tips and tricks for going through your closet, so here is a roundup of my favourites:
- Create a playlist or find a podcast: If you somehow still haven’t listened to the podcast Serial yet, I cannot suggest it more. Another good option would be listening to an audio book. Something to entertain you that doesn’t require all of your attention.
- Take everything out of your closet
- Go through each item and ask yourself the following questions:
– Does it fit well?
– Have I worn it in the past year?
– If I saw it in a store now, would I pick it up?
– Can I think of at least 3 outfits?
– Is it damaged or stained?
– Does it look worse-for-wear? (shrunk in the dryer, pilling, tattered ends, or faded)
If you need a little help try the chart below:
- Create 3 piles:
- Organize the keep pile in a way that makes sense to you: Hang as much as you can comfortably fit and in an order that works for you (by type, sleeve length, colour, etc.). Fold anything heavy or sweaters that may lose their shape on a hanger.
- Make use of floor-space: Leave no area wasted. The floor is a great place for shoes, or boxes full of scarves or winter accessories.
If you aren’t sure how you want to put it all back together, here’s a little inspiration: