I love a good tuna sandwich, but am admittedly guilty of adding too much mayo. When I found this recipe for a light Tuna Melt through Eating Well, I knew it was worth a try. It is such a quick and filling lunch option, one serving was more than enough. I made a whole can of the tuna mix and kept half in the fridge for lunch the next day.
Servings: 4 Calories: 209 Protein: 18g
- 2 5-ounce cans chunk light tuna in water, drained
- 1 medium shallot, minced (2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash of hot sauce
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread, toasted
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat broiler.
- Combine tuna, shallot, mayonnaise, lemon juice, parsley, salt, hot sauce and pepper in a medium bowl. Spread 1/4 cup of the tuna mixture on each slice of toast; top with tomato slices and 2 tablespoons cheese. Place sandwiches on a baking sheet and broil until the cheese is bubbling and golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.