This is officially one of my new favourite meals. I only recently discovered how much I like cilantro, so adding it to avocado made me very happy.
I got this recipe from Two Peas & Their Pod, but I did make some adjustments to make it a tad healthier without losing any taste.
To make the Cilantro Sauce:
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon minced and seeded jalapeño pepper(I skipped this-not a spice fan)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (I used 1 – 2 Tbsp)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the pizza:
- 2 pieces whole wheat pita bread (or tortilla)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I skipped this entirely the second time around and found that I didn’t even miss it)
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- To make the cilantro sauce: In the bowl of a food processor or a blender, combine cilantro, garlic, jalapeño, green onion, and lime juice. Pulse until combined and roughly chopped. With the motor running, slowly pour in the olive oil. Blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the sauce and spread evenly on pita bread pieces. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese. Place pita pizzas on a large baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove from the oven. Top pizzas with avocado slices. Sprinkle with salt. Cut into pieces and serve warm.