It is safe to say that I have never made bimbimbap before, but when I found the recipe in one of my Chatelaine magazines I couldn’t help myself. There were a lot of different parts, but none of them were too difficult to do and it all looked delicious. The best part is that there are so many substitutions, so although it may not be authentic bimbimbap, you can personalize it to your taste. Give it a try!
Servings: 4 Calories: 499
- 1 cup medium-grain brown rice, rinsed very well
- 454 g container raw baby spinach
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 5 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and julienned
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, gills scraped and thinly sliced
- 250 g ground turkey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp honey, preferably manuka
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 sheet nori, cut into matchsticks
- Combine rice with 8 cups cold water in a pot. Bring to a boil over high, then reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, until rice is tender, about 25 min. Drain rice, then return to pot. Set aside.
- Bring another pot filled with water to a boil. Add spinach and stir until wilted, about 1 min. Use a slotted spoon to scoop out spinach into a sieve and rinse under cold running water to cool. Squeeze out excess liquid and transfer to a large platter.
- Add bean sprouts to boiling water. Cook until sprouts are tender, about 3 min. Drain and rinse under cold running water to cool. Squeeze out excess liquid and transfer to platter.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add 2 tsp oil, then sweet potatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 min. Transfer to platter.
- Return pan to heat and add 1 tsp oil. Add portobellos and cook just until tender, about 2 min. Transfer to platter.
- Add 1 tsp oil to pan. Crumble in turkey. Add garlic, soy and honey. Cook until no pink remains, about 5 min. Stir in sesame seeds. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining 1 tsp oil, then crack eggs into pan. Cook, covered, until eggs are no longer runny, 1 to 2 min. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Scoop rice into 4 wide bowls. Arrange spinach, bean sprouts, sweet potatoes, mushrooms and turkey in a circle over rice in each bowl. Top with an egg. Sprinkle with nori. Serve with .