Throughout my internet travels I discovered Emmaline Bride‘s article on cheap date night ideas. I don’t know about you, but the bf and I always have trouble coming up with something to do. There is a lot of hmm-ing and haa-ing until we end up doing some of the same-old things or missing out.
50 Cheap Date Ideas
2. Spend the afternoon at your local farmer’s market.
3. Visit the zoo or aquarium. (Too pricey near you? Volunteer at an animal shelter and play with the pets.)
4. Date night in: rent a movie, buy popcorn and soda, and snuggle with a blanket.
5. Break out the board games for an indoor game night.
6. Find an outdoor concert with cheap lawn tickets + grab your lawn chairs for a fun summer date night.
7. Bike ride around town.
8. Plan a romantic dinner in for your fiance – cook, light candles, pour wine, and play romantic music in the background.
10. Play putt-putt golf. Winner buys ice cream!
11. Learn a new outdoor activity together (kayaking, gardening, canoeing, hiking, horseback riding, or sailing). Who knows – you may just find a new hobby you’ll love to do together!
12. Go bowling.
13. Take a cooking class together at a local parks and rec or community college. Have a friend who loves to cook? Ask them to teach you.
14. Go to a local museum. (If too expensive near you, head to a local historic marker and learn about your town. It’s all about learning something about history together.)
15. Plan a picnic: fill a basket with wine, cheese, crackers, and a comfy blanket.
16. Spend the afternoon at the beach.
18. Go thrifting: visit garage sales, flea markets, or estate sales and see who scores the sweetest deal.
19. Play paintball! (This is nearly free if you have your own equipment; if not, opt for a water gunfight instead.)
20. Hit up the arcade with handfuls of quarters.
22. Find a bar with karaoke – and do a (likely hilarious) duet.
23. Go to a show to support a local band.
24. Take an art class together at a local parks and rec or community college near you. (Too expensive near you? Grab two canvases and some watercolors and get to work. You may even create some pretty amazing artwork for your home.)
25. Go on a second “first date”. Get dressed up, drive separately, and pretend you’ve just met. Hold hands. Ask questions awkwardly. Get butterflies.
26. Go on a Geo-caching treasure hunt. I’ve never done this, but it’s on my to-do list.
27. Go hiking.
29. Fly kites or RC planes (if you have one). It’s a nice way to get fresh air and feel like a kid again.
30. Go to a drive in movie.
31. Go-karting. So. much. fun.
32. Work on a (fun) project together. Buy supplies, figure out instructions, and get to work!
33. Volunteer somewhere. You’ll spend quality time together – and help out someone else. Cool.
34. Go out for ice cream. Huge, topping-crazed ice creams.
35. Play Bingo. It’s surprisingly fun, affordable, and you may even win extra money for your honeymoon.
36. Have a water gun fight. ‘Nuff said. (Winter alternate: have a snowball fight.)
37. Teach the other how to do something they’ve never tried: the guitar, a new card game, how to bake an apple pie, just as a few examples.
38. Grab tickets to a local college sports game (baseball, football, basketball).
39. Go to a jazz club.
40. Get hooked on a new TV series and have a marathon. (Netflix or Amazon Instant Video are both great options for this.)
41. Go for a night drive. Pack up some good tunes and ride off into the sunset.
42. Go to a club and dance your you-know-whats off.
43. Plan out your honeymoon. Spend the evening talking about where to go; once you decide, surf the internet to find attractions and things to do while you’re there.
44. Put on roller skates (or blades) and head to your local rink. Or, just about town.
45. Make reservations for dinner at a restaurant you’ve always wanted to go to.
47. Grab inflatable tubes and spend an afternoon on a river. (Cold weather alternate: Go ice skating, sledding, or spend the afternoon at a cider mill.)
48. Learn how to brew your own beverage: try your hand at making cappuccinos, a flavored ice tea, or your own brewed beer. You may find a new favorite.
49. Go on a restaurant tour – on the cheap. Stop in for an appetizer at a few different locations to try out some new foods.
50. Grab a few laughs at a comedy club or rent a funny movie to get rid of any wedding planning stress.